Wednesday, November 12, 2008

November Twelfth!

(Short Story 2)

"You know, today is a special.", John started.. holding Maha's hands.

"Don't tell me you took bath today!",
winked Maha.

"Chup! something to do with our relationship"


"Hmm.. couldn't think of anything.. you tell"


"Gals are simply dumb! boys have to explain everything! It's 143rd time we are meeting secretively in this park"


"My God! You keep track of all these! You beat cricinfo statistics!"


"Yeah, it's women who typically keep track of all these.. our case is just the reverse!"


"Hmm, who decides all these 'things-to-be-done-by-women'?"


"Its our culture! And it's how Venus creatures are designed. Though there are abberations like you!"


"Enough of mindless chat, John. Tell me what's happening with your job search. You don't behave like a 24 year adult",
a bit of seriousness in Maha's face.

"Correction - 23! Hmm.. I'm doing my best, Maha.. even yestereday talked to my uncle's friend.. ",
the glow in John's face seemed to fade

"You know what.. my parents are becoming very serious about my marriage.. Soon all my tam bhram aunties will begin the groom-hunting-process. I am very scared!"


"Tell your dad you won't marry anyone but me"


"I told you thousand times John.. my family is very orthodox.. they can't imagine any one from other community to be their son-in-law, forget different religion! A mega-drama is soon to be staged once the secret is out! Hmm.. I hope I can initiate the conversation after you have a good job. I am much worried.. But you seem to be very careless!"


"Maha, dont tell me I am not serious - I have never been this serious for anything else in life. You mean so much to me. I can't imaging a life without you. If you happen to marry someone else, graveyard wouldn't be too far for me!"


"Enough John, don't put senti dialogues like these - we have crossed that stage.. show me it in action!"


"Come on, Maha! You saying I am not taking any action?"


"I am not saying so - I am just saying you dont seem to have the focus and commitment"


"Oh.. yeah! amazing! welcome to the world of commitment! The world which men understand and live-by more than women!"


"Why do you have to talk about women in general?"


"Yeah, you girls are just focused on getting things done for you. You never care about how men feel. Have you ever heard stories of women dying for men. Mental asylums and suicide attempts appear only in men's dictionary."


"Love should let people Live, not die!"


"Nor do I say so. It's just an indication of how committed men are! If things don't work out, women would be sad for few weeks, may be months.. worst case - few years.. life will resume normally after that! Men are not like that!"


"Who says all these to you? Don't get all these wrong impressions from movies! Women are more committed than men! We don't check out every damn person of opposite sex in the roads! We dont yearn for 'more beauty' every moment.. We are committed to one person!
" - this is Maha

"Hmm, you speak so much! If you are so committed, why can't you just say 'yes' to the registration marriage"

"Come on, John! How can I forgo my parents who supported me, helped me in every possible way for the last 22 years just like that.. I cant run away from home - I would like everything to happen with their blessings!"

"Then, I dont think it's going to happen! Maha, you gotta decide - Me OR your Parents!"


"John, why speaking like these?
"

"Because I am seeing so many live examples outside - Gals leaving guys just like thst. Rock solid hearts you people have!"

"You are not understanding John. Most women in our country are made to be dependent on men - father, brother or husband. Additionally, the difficulties, disappointments & betrayals in the name of "love" and "marriage", which we go through, call for higher level of cautiousness, patience and courage!"

"You mean to say that I would cheat you and that you don't trust me!"


"John, I didn't mean that.."


"Then, what? You are just proving the point - women are just pure simple selfish creatures!"

Tears started rolling in Maha's beautiful cheeks.. She just started walking with waterfall of tears "You dont understand, John! Let's just leave it!"

5 years later...

Maha holding John's hands, "John! Can you tell me why today is special for us?"

John laughed "This tracking job gets shifted to women after marriage!"


Maha ignoring his comment said "A turning point in our life - the day which changed our lives! The day which really made you become serious. The day I left you in the park with tears.. the day which brought out the talents in you to get this amazing job within 20 days.. ultimately the marriage of the most loving and most fighting pair.. and the cute & lovely kid named Nitin! The magical day.. Yes, Nov 12 it is!"

No comments: