Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Little things..

Buzz! Buzz!! It was the calling bell. Half asleep, Aditi's consciousness told someone is at door. She acted deaf to enjoy the extra bit of coziness - curled back into bed thinking 'Who knows I am awake!'. Buzz again! She couldn't act deaf again - door was opened. 

It was Valli, the house servant. 

Aditi sleepily asked  "What Valli? It's just 6:30 AM! Why half hour early today?" 

Valli said "Maaf keejiye ji.. Aaj beta ko hospital leh-jaana.." 

Aditi - "oh, ok. ok.. Finish work quickly and go home early"

Valli began the usual house-sweeping and utensil-cleaning at a brisk pace. Aditi entered the kitchen and started preparing the tea for her. That day was different - She didn't know why she felt so, but she thought she should prepare tea for Valli as well. She made an extra cup.

Aditi handing over the tea to Valli, said "Have chai Valli."  Valli was a little hesitant - "What is this ma? You serving tea for me!". Aditi said "It's ok, Valli. please have it". Unexplainable joy in Valli's face, heartful thanks in her eyes.

Same day. While heading to office in Taxi, Aditi thought "Sometimes we take things for granted - things like - servants are supposed to serve us.. how wrong it could be.. Compared to the services she does for me, what I did was nothing.. It's just a small thing.. a simple thing.. a little thing.. but making a big difference to Valli..  I'm so happy for whatever I did today.. Hope her son gets alright soon!"

Her thought related it to other things in life - "In some way, it's not just our servants, rather the people who love us the most - parents, kids, spouse and close friends.. we take them for granted.. we forget to appreciate them.. we forget to reciprocate their love.. Little things like playing hide and seek with my son.. a funky-tshirt as surprise b'day gift to my dad in 50s.. calling a school friend who admired me in school days - to just say a 'hi'.. yes, little things to me.. makes a big difference to them!"

From that day, Aditi never missed the opportunity of preparing an additional cup of Chai for Valli. 

1 comment:

Kay said...

Very nice. Thank you for sharing this with me. :)