Sunday, June 07, 2009

From the diary of Mr. Gagan

Jul 20: Today another poor soul joined our security forces. It takes the security personnel count to 5 for this apartment. For an apartment of ~125 houses with 400-500 people, I still believe it's understaffed. For providing round the clock security and maintenance, we people are paid peanuts. Yes, it's not a difficult job to do: opening & closing the gate. Still, we deserve a decent salary. Ok, forget money. At least some respect for the work we are doing!? Hmm.. these bloody residential morons treat us like dogs!

Jul 21: Yesterday was night duty and had a terrible experience with that Saale Sanjay. Rarely does any car come to the apartment after 1 am. It's unfair to expect me to be awake all night! That too, I should open the door at the sound of his car!? Hello, car makers of this world - can you please make some noisy cars than those as silent as hunting tigers? Let me come back to what happened.. He got out of the car, abused me to the core. I couldn't do anything than the apologetic reply of "Sorry saab, won't happen again." I still couldn't forget his last statement 'you sons of b****, you dogs eat like pigs and sleep like buffaloes. From tomorrow onwards, no food before night service.' Yes, I felt like a dog for being dependent on him.. and a buffalo, not for its laziness, but for its thick skin. Oh, God! I hate this job. Will I ever do more than the opening and closing of doors? And than the stupid salutes to these non-deserving people? Will I ever get a decent job?

Jul 22: I think God listened to my prayers. Tomorrow onwards, I will be shifted to Lift operations for wing B. While I am happy to be shifted to a cooler place. But I need to be a little careful, as wing B houses the arrogant auditor and the powerful politician. Our security person Ramu, who was working earlier in Wing B, got slammed every day. He even got slapped couple of times. Let me hope nothing like that happens for me.

Jul 23: I can't do this job. My happiness is very short-lived for a day! This new task, let me tell you, sucks totally. People want the lift to be in their floor the moment they press it. In the morning, every moron invariably shouts "why does it take so much time? you lazy bast***!" This city is impatient, people are impatient. Except may be my lift which is completely patient and takes its own sweet time to move from a floor to another. The universe is against me! City is ruthless full of cruel people. God, save me! Please send me back to my village.

Jul 24: After a long long time, something really nice happened today. For the first ever time, I heard the word "please". While I was stunned and remained speechless at her beauty, she entered the lift and said "Bhayya, 13th floor please". I didn't turn my face and looked at her. But the lift was filled with her brilliant fragrance and an unexplainable cheerfulness. Lift seemed to have reached 13th floor way too faster this time. She smiled and said "thank you bhayya". I replied "welkom madam". For the next 15-20 mins, I was just thinking when the lift would go back to 13th floor. And finally, it went. She entered the lift laughing with a young man. I felt a little dejected. But nevertheless, was happy for seeing her again. The lift started moving down. She asked me "Does the lift operate even during power cuts?". I replied enthusiastically "yes, madam. this is all time work. no rest lift. 24 hours work. security work 24 hours also." She had a mild giggle and said "good good. thanks a lot". I didn't understand why she was giggling, but it was good to watch her that way. For the next couple of seconds, I felt I should have told her "don't worry madam, even if the power back-up doesn't work, I will carry you all the way to floor 13 in my shoulders". She was telling to the man standing next to her, "ok bhayya, i think we should confirm this house for rent. Looks good. Nice location and amenities." I had a sigh of relief.

Sep 24: Nearly two months, since I last wrote my diary. There is a reason why I'm writing this now. Ms. Deepali, who made my heart race when she said "13th floor please", had shifted to the house in 13th floor along with her brother and mom. It's interesting how my life changed after Ms.Deepali shifted here - it has really become a Diwali. It's true that I initially perceived her as a thing of beauty. But soon realized that she's more than that. A person with a beautiful heart. Did I tell you what all she did to me? When I told my sad story to her and that I was in the edge of complete dejection about life, she didn't sympathize with me. She just said 'Who said life is fair and people would be nice to you always? Unless you make an effort, it's never going to change. What's the point in just regretting that you haven't studied? Who is stopping you from studying now? I will sponsor your education through distant learning program. You can use your free time. Will you sincerely make an attempt?' It was the day that changed my life. Still today, I'm pressing the up and down buttons of the lift. But I am doing it happily since it's just a part of my life. My bigger aspiration is to get the bachelors degree in the next 3 years. With the motivation of Ms. Deepali, I am sure to do that as well. After all, the world is not as bad as I thought it to be. There are gems of people. I just need to look around.

No comments: