Monday, February 02, 2009

Adieu to Attachment

@Random
Do your duty to the best of your ability, O Arjuna ... abandoning attachment to the results, and remaining calm in both success and failure

One of the well-known and much debated teachings of Gita.  Today, the immediate response to this from people: This is idealistic, impractical and non-sense. How can one survive without attachments? There is attachment everywhere - Relationship, Work, Wealth & Self - Dialogues like 'I love my work since I am so thrilled at getting the results',  'I hate this work, but still do it since I have to get this big house',  'You know, I am so much attached to my wife that I can't stand anything bad happening to her'. 

So, it seems fair to conclude that a non-attached life is equivalent of death. Hmm, Not exactly! 

First, let's try to understand why the so called 'wise' sages are hell-bent on non-attachment: As much as Mr. Attachment gives joy & excitement, he is skilled at pushing one to the other side of the coin. For example, if you are so attached with your spouse, let's say - when he or she goes through a pain, you will go through it as well.  Analogy is that of a parasite attached to the tree - when the tree is cut, the parasite suffers as well. Or let's say, you are attached to the poor street children & have a very good intent of helping them - But the their current state of affairs is so deplorable that you just can't do anything other than crying with them.  

But it is also true that one can't live without attachment since life ceases to have meaning without attachment. Hmm.. unless, may be, we replace Mr. Attachment with someone else, who could keep us moving in life, still not get us to the mire of sorrowful states. 

Ladies & Gentlemen, let's welcome, the one and only, the star of the attitudes, the never losing, the ever enthusiastic, Mr. Commitment! 

I think that's what Gita tries to say in the first part as "Do the duty to your best" - I think we just need to start saying "Committed to my spouse", "Committed to the friendship", "Committed to the roles & responsibilities of my job", "Committed to my employees", "Committed to the street children", "Committed to the country", "Committed to the peace" etc

May be, not just saying, but being!

@Regular

Expected another 'Rock On' from  Farhan Akhtar - But 'Luck By Chance' was a disappointment. Yeah, I have this predilection for fast movies, but LBC is way too slow for anyone. But yeah, appreciate the honest effort from Zoya Akhtar. 

Oh, I should tell about this place called "Manee's" in Matunga, Mumbai. For the Authentic-Tamil-food-sicken-Mumbai, Manees is a bliss. You would get rice & sambhar served in banana leaf with all kootu, poriyal & aviyal. It's not even 25% of the best southie food you would get in Chennai. But still, we enjoy it.

Last time, when I went home, I picked up a random book on Business games - I was reminded of the game theory taught in B-Schools, which I, like most people, enjoyed learning. So, started off with that book which explains them in the context of NLP.

No comments: